Powered by Blogger.

5 Podcasts That Will Have You Hooked

A few months ago I didn't even know what a podcast was. Now they're my main source of entertainment!

Listening to podcasts is a great way to get inspired, laugh the stress away, or get the facts about what's going on in the world. It's also a wonderful way to defeat boredom. Cleaning, sitting in waiting rooms, and washing the dishes has never been so fun, thanks to the handy dandy Podcast app! If you've never listened to a podcast, you should really give it a try.

Just a warning, though- podcasts can either be remarkably intriguing or terribly boring. I've had to search and search to find ones that didn't bore me to death. Lucky for you, I'm sharing all of my favorites with you today, so that you don't have to waste your time searching!

(By the way if you don't have an Iphone with the free Podcast app or an Itunes account, you can listen to some podcasts on Youtube, Sound Cloud, or download a podcast app on your Android phone.)

Here are 5 podcasts of my favorite podcasts that you'll soon be obsessing over just like I am!

1. Ted Talks

I think of Ted Talks as a giant blessing to all mankind (or to everyone who owns an electronic device). TED is a non-profit organization dedicated to spreading ideas shared by excellent speakers. Each Ted Talk podcast episode consists of a short (around 18 minute long) speech about topics ranging from topics like, "Why We Laugh," to, "A Few Ways to Fix a Government." 

One Ted Talk that had me laughing and simultaneously inspired was What I Learned From 100 Days of Rejection

Another Ted Talk, Are You a Giver or a Taker?, got my husband even more excited for his future career as an Industrial Organizational Psychologist. I'm not going into that field, but this podcast inspired me to be more of a giver in the workplace and in life in general. 

One of my favorite Ted Talks covered a concern that I spend way too much time worrying about. And that is- my lack of time! In this Ted Talk on time management, Laura Vanderkam breaks down the amount of time we really have each week to get stuff done. I won't go into details but I was mind blown

There are so many great Ted Talk podcasts that I haven't had time to listen to yet, so definitely let me know if you have any specific ones that have left you in awe! 

3. Serial


If you don't have anything going on the next couple of days, you should start listening to this podcast. I was captivated from the very start with this podcast. 

You may be surprised to find out that I actually really love murder mystery type stuff. Not the fake cheesy crap like Law and Order or CSI. Those TV shows literally make me want to gag. I like the real stories. And Season One of Serial is as real as they get. It's all about a popular high school student who disappears one day after school. A few weeks later, her ex-boyfriend is accused of her murder. This podcast looks into the case more in-depth to see if her ex-boyfriend is really the one to blame. I won't tell you the rest (even though I really really want to) but you should totally give this podcast a listen if you're into this kind of stuff. By the way, it's surprisingly not as depressing as it sounds. I don't like scary movies or "dark feeling" type of freaky stuff, but this podcast is more interesting and informative than anything else. 

3. Someone Knows Something


Don't waste your time on Season One of this podcast. It was a waste of time that didn't lead anywhere. But Season Two is AMAZING. Though I liked the narration of Serial a little better, this case was just as enthralling. 

Here's a link to a video of Michael Lovoie proposing to his girlfriend, Sheryl Shepperd, on December 31, 1997. This podcast is all about her disappearance, which happened two days after the proposal. Narrator, David Rigden, searches for answers that lead him to new discoveries about the case that could change everything. 

4. Embedded


Not only does this podcast get you hooked. It will also motivate you to make a difference in the world. Kelly McEvers "takes a story from the news and goes deep." I feel very passionate about staying up with current events because how in the world are we supposed to make a difference in the world if we don't know what's going on in the world? Each episode of this podcast is a separate story that I didn't want to end. You get so involved with each story that you wish there was a whole season about it instead of a 45 minute episode. But you've gotta take what you can get!

 The first 2 episodes are my absolute favorite. They reveal the details of an HIV epidemic that took over a small town in Indiana as many of the towns residents became addicted to a pain description drug. They follow up with the victims of this addiction in a later episode, which I was incredibly grateful for. I'd been wondering what happened to them ever since I heard their story. That's how great this podcast is. It has me thinking about it long after it was over. You don't want to miss out on this podcast!

5. Invisibilia 


I actually just found this podcast today but I'm already obsessed with it. Most of the self-improvement podcasts are soooooooo boring. I had yet to find one that I didn't want to turn off after the first 5 minutes. But low and behold, I finally found one! 

Invisibilia (Latin for invisible things) is all about human behavior. The narration of this podcast is anything but boring and each time you listen to an episode you'll finish it off thinking of your own life differently and wanting to make necessary changes that will lead to peace and happiness. 

I highly suggest this podcast if you're looking for something to listen to that will be uplifting and motivational!


Other podcasts that are worth listening to (basically, podcasts that I don't have time to write about but that are also amazing):

  • 74 Seconds- All about this video that I'm too scared to watch, but the podcast is excellent.
  • Breakdown- Narrator breaks down crime that was committed when a father left his son in a hot car for many hours. He says it was an accident but he was accused of murder. Listen to find out why. 
  • Here To Make Friends- A Bachelor Recap Show (I haven't listened to very much of this yet but I love the Bachelor and an hour of it a week just isn't enough.) (Haha- kind of joking, kind of not)
  • The Unexplainable Disappearance of Mars Patel- Basically the kid version of my favorite true crime podcasts, except a little more Goonies meets Spy Kids. This is a perfect podcast to keep your kids sane during long car trips. 

Podcasts I Haven't Had a Chance to Listen to Yet but Want to Listen To:

  • Focus on the Family: Focus on Parenting
  • This Glorious Mess
  • Rad Parenting
  • Sounds of the Trail
  • The First 40 Miles: Hiking and Backpacking
  • Maltin on Movies

Welp, that's all for today! Remember to let me know what your favorite podcasts are so I can keep listening, laughing, and learning! Thanks for reading and stay tuned for my next post all about my favorite Netflix/Hulu shows. 

No comments